Saturday, October 6, 2012

Marathon Day, part 1

Charlie and Sally run the marathon tomorrow.  Marathon day is one of my most favorite, because when I was first living in Portland, I remember going to see my mom finish the Portland marathon.  She puked in a flower pot. (Mom, should I remove that?  I can, if you want.  I remember it vividly though.  And as you know, the puking-during-marathon genes were passed on to me.)  I love the atmosphere of race day, even for smaller races.  Everyone is so happy, and the spectators bond, and everyone is foaming at the mouth with pride.

So in preparation, Scar and her cousins did a little kid's race this morning at this pre-marathon family wellness expo.  Scarlett called this "my marathon".  She and the other little kids ran a lap around the track, but at the end she had to be carried a little and she was coughing.  I told her it's okay, all runners have bad races and this will help her train better.  In any case, there was all sorts of adorableness.  Hope and the older kids ran two laps.

Everyone went down the bouncy-house-style slide, and through the bouncy obstacle course.  Scarlett got a frog painted on her arm.  Have I mentioned her love of frogs?  She loves frogs like crazy.  Hope did some rock climbing.  Esther did the long jump.  I hope, later in life, Scarlett has race memories from her childhood.  So far, I know she's excited about the sign I made.  What's on the sign, you might ask?  Well, you'll have to wait until tomorrow...


  



1 comment: