Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Marathon Day, part 2

Once again, marathon day exceeded expectations because of the lovely weather, my homemade sign, and lots of runners to holler at.  They liked my sign.  Jon accompanied me and, very calmly, handled a lot of my 'We're going to be late!' and 'Shit, carry this!" panics.  He also carried the sign, and corralled Scarlett, and did a lot of cheering.

Mile 6: Scarlett, below, helping.  I can't remember what Jon is doing in this second picture.  It kindof looks like he's going to jump up and scare Scar, but I'm sure it was something else.  It was early, so anything goes.  Anyway, Scarlett didn't catch them in the crowd as they first ran by.  She kept asking, confused, 'where is Aunt Sally?'

We also saw my mom at mile 6, and other walkers, most of whom hassled me that I didn't have a sign for them. 


Mile 11: We didn't get pictures of Sally and Charlie running, let's assume it's because they were unbelievably fast.  Or, that it's hard to manage a toddler, a sign, and a camera at the same time.  They looked happy and calm at mile 6 and then again at 11. They were about a minute behind the 3:40 pacer.  Then we rushed against time and traffic, across the river, to mile 18.



Mile 18: When we arrived, Sally was pulling ahead.  She was fueled by the power of birthday, I think.  The east side is, by far, the best place to watch the race.  Lots of parking, less spectators, lots of room for kids to run up and down the sidewalk. 
  

At the finish, we were joined by a larger cheer squad.   There was a lot of squinting and saying "I think that's her" and staring at everyone in a yellow shirt, wondering if it was Sally. 



Charlie, second from left, in black. 


So the official times were Sally 3:47 and Charlie 3:55.  They accomplished so much before 11am!  And an improvement of over 10 minutes for each of them. 
Then, we had the rest of the day to celebrate Sally's birthday and eat Foster Burger and go to sleep early. 




No comments:

Post a Comment