Sunday, September 11, 2011

Hood to Coast, 2011

But first, September 11th is something Scarlett will learn about in school but probably something that won't affect her the way it will affect those of us who remember details about that day.  Maybe it's a little like when JFK was shot, for our generation.  She will grow up knowing the words 'cell phone' and 'lap top' and 'internet' and probably other words that haven't been invented yet.  I wonder what she'll be writing on her blog in 15 years?

And now, what you've all been waiting for, Viking Dance Parties.

Last year, our Hood to Coast team found a theme we liked: Vikings.  Thanks to Erin & Eddie we have Viking hats and swords and sweetly decorated vans.  This was my 6th year in a row at Hood to Coast, and the best one so far for my speed and how strong I felt while running.  Weather-wise though, it was a total mess.  It was HOT.  I ran my first leg at around 4pm and it was 96 degrees.  I'm such a badass though, that I survived with only the minimal complaining (HA HA).  Really though, it was a great year, despite the heat and the traffic. 

Van 1 at the foggy start, Timberline Lodge, 11:30am Friday.
 

Erin showing her Viking pride:

  
While Heather was running her first leg, Erin was waving a Viking hat out the window of the moving van to cheer on some of the runners.  One of the tusks fell off mid-cheer.  It seemed too complicated to turn the van around, and risk missing Heather at the exchange point, just to find the tusk.  After all, we're Vikings, we're too busy plundering to care if our hats are in ship shape.  But while she was running, Heather saw the tusk on the ground and figured she knew what happened, and she picked it up and brought it home.  Here she is, celebrating:
Jody running in a Viking skirt.  Van 1 took a dip in Jody's swimming pool after our runs in the blistering heat.  That's probably why this was the Best HtC ever.
While Erin was running her second leg, lots of vans were stuck when the Hawthorne Bridge raised.  
Early Saturday morning, we pillaged some donuts from Team Maple Bar or whatever they were called. 
 Jody showing off our sweet Vikings capes.
Viking Dance Party!  In the wee hours of Saturday morning, dealing with sore muscles and lack of sleep, we cranked up the music and started the best new tradition ever, of Viking Dance Parties.  There was a lot of ass shaking and cat calling the shirtless male runners. 
 Jody and I, pre-run.
There was also a team of storm troopers- they ran in their undies (the girl in black is Darth Vador).  They didn't run in the hats. Even in the middle of the night, they were very close to naked. 
 Heather, Holly, Jody and Erin, posing in front of some scenic porta potties.
 
At last, after approximately 18 miles per person, our van finished.  I was the last runner, and I ran into the exchange with a big smile because I knew that a crab melt awaited me at the beach.  By the time we drove there though, I was too tired to eat it.  We went to Holly's parents' house- while Charlie's van was finishing the end of the relay- to shower and relax a little.  I think I might've fallen asleep on the floor and her parents had to step over me.  That's how Vikings roll though.




[Insert Flight of the Valkyries here]

No comments:

Post a Comment