Friday, October 25, 2013

School

(blog post from Tuesday)

Today, I sat in a corner and just watched Scarlett's classroom for a half-hour.  There are parent-teacher conferences coming up, and this is part of the process, and I've been dying to know Scar does all day so I have been looking forward to this.  Charlie gets to go one morning next week.  Here's what I observed:

  • Scarlett painting at the easel wearing a paint smock over her very thick winter coat
  • Kids whispering and pointing, 'whose mom is that?'
  • A little boy standing on a rug, sighing 'nobody wants to have a conversation with me'
  • An older boy, probably 5, sitting at a table for the entire time I was there, drawing pictures of fruit cut in half. He was looking at cards with the fruit and drawing exact copies.
  • Teachers holding kids hands and walking around the room with them
  • Scarlett walking slowly around the room. This happened a lot, in 30 minutes.
  • Scarlett eating a snack in the corner, far far away from me

Sometimes she's a big kid to me, because she talks so much, she knows just what she wants.  But in class, she just looked small and quiet compared to those other kids.

Tomorrow is the class trip to the pumpkin patch. Adorable pictures to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment