Friday, November 28, 2014

Little reader

We've been making the transition lately from the shorter picture books to chapter books.  It's been really fun, and for me especially because Scarlett and I are on book 2 of the Little House On The Prairie series, which I loved when I read them as a kid.  We are reading parts that I remember- like Laura and Mary making molasses candy out of snow. I tried to do that once when it snowed in Eugene.  Last night, Scarlett describes to me what she was picturing in her head while I read, on the pages when there were no pictures. She wonders about the white top of the covered wagon, she says.

A couple week ago, we finished Ramona and her Mother, Scarlett's first Beverly Cleary book.  The part where Beezus gets a terribile haircut... it was nostalgic because I remember reading chapter once upon a time.

We went to see the Ivy & Bean musical recently- these books were new to me, we started reading them because the play was coming.  Scarlett took to these instantly.  When we got our tickets at will call, the woman asked if Scarlett had read the books.  She nodded emphatically "Yes all ten."
In one of the books, the girls find a strange yellow rope in their neighborhood and nobody knows where it came from, but every day it gets longer and longer.  So at home, Scarlett tied some rope (white only, we don't have yellow) around one corner of her dollhouse and waited for Charlie to notice.  Because she wanted to read this book all the time, it didn't take him long.

I'm already thinking forward to the day when we're reading Harry Potter together.  

Scarlett and cousins and Aunt Sarah, reading on Thanksgiving






No comments:

Post a Comment