Friday, October 17, 2014

Korean superstar

Today in her taekwando class, Scarlett got the 'best student' award.  The best student is the one who sits facing forward, doesn't talk during class, doesn't disrupt other kids, etc etc.  I think she's at an advantage because she likes ballet, and this class is similar, only without the fancy dress and with more kicking and yelling. 

At the end of class, with her reward of a green headband and a sticker and a piece of paper with her name on it, she told me "I knew he was going to pick me for best student." 

I was feeling mildly frustrated with how often the instructor tells the kids to face forward, and not to get up for water during class, to cross their legs, and not to yell HE-YA when they are making a HE-YA type hand motion.  Four year olds don't sit quietly and face forward.  They have energy and they get thirsty and they like to walk around.  But, now I kindof get it, if taekwando is about self-discipline and respect and all that.  So I guess she can sit still for 45 minutes and then jump around like a frog all other hours of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment