Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Elizabeth Warren

I took Scarlett to Eugene to see Elizabeth Warren, who is an awesome consumer advocate and all around cool lady, when she was on our coast doing a fundraiser for our Senator. I admire her so much and I wanted Scarlett to get a chance to see her.  On the way, we talked a little about rallies.  But, how do I explain politics to a kid?  She knows Barack Obama.  She knows how Charlie and I voted on flouride in the water supply.  But abstract ideas are hard to explain and we don't really talk politics much anyway.

At the rally, they let me stand up front, so Scarlett could see.  At the end, EW came around to shake hands with everyone in the front row.  She whispered in Scarlett's ear "My name is Elizabeth. I ran for US Senate because that's what girls can do."


To be fair, this is what EW says to all little girls (I read that in her biography).  But it was still inspiring and great.  And, the news photographer took our picture.  When the Oregon Senator came around, Scarlett refused to look at him or shake his hand.  Then he suggested a high-five, and she did it, but I had to bribe her with the promise of a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment