Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fall Blogging

Scarlett told me a story that she 'made up in her mind'.  It was about a girl who loves someone because he's funny.  But she won't marry him, instead she marries someone else and HE'S A GIANT.  But she's happy.  Then later the giant tries to be funny, but she doesn't like it and unfunnies him.  This the story, as remembered imprecisely by me.

She likes that Cups song.  I sing 'I've got a ticket for the long way round....' at the end recently she looked at me and said, "maybe she'll meet someone else'.  

She says the best things.  She'll say 'write this down mama' and then start singing some really elaborate song about a frog and a giraffe, or a story about a little girl and her lily pad.  But usually I can't write it down, because I'm driving or my hands are covered in flour or I'm not near a pencil or computer.  It feels like the things she makes up in her little mind are so important, but then I don't record them and they are lost forever.  We need a household stenographer. 

Some semi-monumental things are happening here lately.  Let's pretend that's why September has been my worst blog month.  Charlie is remodeling our kitchen and finally we have lower cabinets and counters (installed) and a dishwasher (not installed).  We broke one of the two wine glasses we didn't pack away when the remodel started so one of us drinks out of a mason jar.  Someday, we're going to get our kitchen things out of the basement storage and it's going to be a happy reunion, us and all our glasses and panini-makers or whatever is down there..  Back to monumental things: Scarlett can open her own yogurt and no longer needs my help. I told her, that was my job as your mama and now I have nothing to do for you.  I'm going to run a marathon shortly, this time with less puking!  And, it's fall, my most favorite season.  Dear Portland, I love you always but especially in the fall, from Emily. 

And now, a selfie by Scar:

No comments:

Post a Comment