Monday, June 11, 2012

Our Season of Injuries

This weekend was a rough one for our toddler's perfect skin.  One evening, as she ran into the bathroom to throw toys into the bubble bath, she caught her toe on the edge of the door.  She said, 'I hurt my toe'.  Thinking she had stubbed it, I reached down to kiss the toe, and saw it was bleeding and there was skin dangling off.  A lot of skin, enough to make me queasy.  Seeing the blood, she said 'It's red!  There's red!'.  She was fascinated with the 'red' and was mad when we put a bandaid on it.  She is much stronger than I am.

The next day, she was running in the driveway and fell, landing face-first, and now she's all scratched up.  Scratches on her cheek, a vaguely black eye, and a fat lip.  She also has a scratched-up hip which we didn't notice until later.  She cried for about 30 seconds and then wanted a snack.

What I have learned is:

  • Toddlers do not want you to ice their wounds
  • Hurt is irrelevant to her if snacks are around
  • Her pain hurts me more than her



In her unscathed days- playing in the crib with Carrie

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the owies! A snack cures all ails.

    Man that crib sure was cozy.

    ReplyDelete