Thursday, December 16, 2010

Come Sail Away

I'm looking forward to two things coming up early in the new year.  One is Scarlett's first birthday.  The other is the arrival of the unnamed baby Parker, sometime in January.  Erin is due almost year after I was- so her pregnancy has been especially fun for me to watch, because I remember feeling similarly at the same time of year.  Sometimes, just a little bit, I miss being pregnant.  So Erin tells me about her birthing classes, about the new weird thing happening this month, and I can to reminisce a little, and I like it.  Plus, she's the most upbeat and agile mama-to-be ever.

It took a village to throw the perfect shower for Erin and Eddie.  The self-imposed party planning committee met a few times to talk over details and make a plan for decorations and games.  And because we met at A BAR (the type of place where you don't have a high chair next to you), our little committee meetings were especially fun and freeing.



The theme was 'come sail away' and we made some flags to decorate.  I kept thinking 'don't go overboard' and giggling to myself because I LOVE PUNS.  We hung the flags all across Erin and Eddie's living room, which is a long, narrow room, so it felt a little like I'm On A Boat.


While we decorated, we also drank mimosas.  You know, in preparation.  What event wouldn't be even better with the addition of a little champagne?  The answer: there isn't one.


Biscuit was eager for people to show up.  Apparently Biscuit has been very protective of Erin's belly- growling if anyone moves their hand too quickly toward it.  When I'm around Erin, I can't help but pat her belly every few minutes.  My hand is like a magnet to that thing.


We started with a Scavenger hunt for the parents-to-be, before the guests started to arrive.  It began with a series of nursery rhymes leading them around the house and yard.  Rockabye baby in the tree top led them to a clue hidden in a tree, for example.  The end of the hunt found Erin and Eddie talking to their friends in Phoenix, via Skype, as a surprise.




There were games for the guests too- which included melting ice cubes with plastic babies inside, and reenacting pirate vs. viking fights for the video camera.  Ohhh, I should post some footage of that!  Okay, stay tuned.


What would a baby shower be, without the opening of a Bob Dylan onesie for the little one?  The other onesie in this picture is supposed to be a roller skate, but my onesie-making skills are not as polished as Charlie's. 


And of course, there were babies.  Eli, Lucy and Scarlett are anxious for the new baby to arrive, so they can show off their sweet skills. Eli has started walking, Lucy is talking up a storm.  Scarlett spent most her time trying to eat things- edible things like hummus, and other, less-edible things like plastic bags.  Then, she napped.






I remember this point in my own pregnancy- I was so excited to meet my baby, everytime I saw a mom carrying her newborn, I would stare longingly.  I was jealous.  I wanted my baby and I hated to wait.  But it was also kindof magical, because I knew our life was about to change, and all the parents I knew were just so in love with their kids that I knew it would be fantastic.  I am so excited to see Erin and Eddie as parents.


Thanks Amber for supplying so many of these pictures, because I appear to be incapable of taking a good photo lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment